Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Return from the 8 Day Exodus

I arrived back in Jerusalem two days ago and have struggled since then to find a way to share my experiences with everyone. There is simply too much to tell in one post--so be expecting more.

First, I think it is simplest to go over just some of the sights that I have seen. Now bear in mind that even this is somewhat edited and I am really just going over the highlights, which is sort of like picking your favorite flavors of ice cream.

Site Number One (in no particular order): The Pyramids

There is no way this would not make the highlights. We had a somewhat unique experience there, mainly because it was freezing cold and even slightly rained. They told me I should feel lucky--well, I didn't (is that wrong?). I think I would have been happy with lots of sun like they have every other day. Now, some people may be offended, but the pyramids are really just a pile of rocks, albeit a really big pile of rocks that is really old. We were able to enter in one of the pyramids. I do have some bad news though, there are no boobie-traps in the pyramids. And by none, I mean that there are not even old ones that have already been set off. Thanks Indiana Jones for setting unreal expectations for me.

Despite the lack of large rolling stones, slowing collapsing walls, and nests of poisonous snakes, the pyramids really exceeded much of what I ever imagined. These are structures that are really old--they were old when Abraham went to Egypt. All of sudden being 26 didn't sound all that bad. After we playing around there for a bit we all took camel rides. I have included a video that doesn't have any sound (don't worry I wasn't saying anything important or even all that funny), but I thought it was somewhat cooler than some of the pictures.




Here is a little cultural tidbit for everyone as well. They pyramids are surrounded by a rope and are guarded by soldiers to prevent anyone from climbing up to the top. It was once acceptable for people to climb up there, but in the last few years the government has really starting cracking down on people. So, as I was walking by them you can imagine how I felt when a guard motioned to me and sneakily pulled the rope down with with foot to allow me to cross. He was armed with an Uzi and I kind felt like the whole thing might have been some sort of trap, but there was no way I was passing this up. I hopped over and started climbing up. I didn't get all that far before I was yelled at by the soldier--apparently the offer was only to go up a little ways. I took a quick picture and started coming down. When I got back I started walking over to the bus when the guard stopped me. He held out his hand and said "basheesh" which is sort of translated as "tip." I guess the fact that he was carrying and automatic weapon made me feel generous so I gave him a dollar. This is just a small example of an important principle in Egypt. Nothing is free, but you can buy anything.

Site Number Two: Karnak Temple

I will probably embarrass myself on this one slightly, but I never really knew this place existed. It apparently was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, who knew right? It also took a little over 1700 years to build. I know, I know, that sounds pretty unreal, but go ahead and check--it really took that long. The complex is gigantic. Every inch of stone is covered in hieroglyphics and the color in many places is still vibrant. The over all structure is very similar to the tabernacle design. There are three different sections with varying holiness associated with them culminating in the holy shrine.




The columns in many places were over 24 meters high. I think I could have easily spent all day there just gaping at everything. Egyptians had a flair from making things look grand. Here are just a couple of examples for you.

This other picture may not seem all that interesting, but let me explain. The scarab is a very sacred icon to the Egyptians. It has a lot of meaning especially in regards to fertility because it contains both male and female sex organs. They made this pillar with a scarab on it and according to our guide if you run around on it five times you are blessed with wealth, if you go around it seven times you are blessed with marriage, and if you go around it eight times you are blessed with lots of children. Any guesses how many times I ran around it? That's right, zero--who needs that stuff anyway, I just took pictures (kidding--I made 16 laps just to be safe). I suppose if any of that stuff happens now I will know why (apparently the Egyptians had it right).



Site Number Three: Citadel Mosque

I really couldn't leave this one off the list either. It is located in Cairo up on the hill. The mosque serves as a government fortress as well as a mosque. I don't know if you noticed or not, but it looks a lot like Hagia Sofia in Constantinople. That is mainly because Muhammad Ali sent artists to study architecture there to help design the building.


This is the outside of the Citadel Mosque. There is actually a really large courtyard in the inside that I didn't really show. It is a really big building.

*I have a video that I want to add here, but I am having trouble loading it so I will leave it off for now.

We also learned a lot about Islam there. I think as a religion we have a lot of common ground. It is hard sometimes to get an idea of what these different religions are like from books, but being able to talk to the people and actually observe the religious practices have helped me understand a lot more. The people at the mosque were really helpful and kind. They even wanted pictures with us and were constantly welcoming us to Egypt.


Ok, so I really only covered three sites out of way too many to really describe. I have a couple of other things that I want to share, but those will have to wait until later. Hopefully I can get them all in before we go to Jericho--it seems that if too many days go by I will not ever be able to catch up.

5 comments:

Mom Bradshaw said...

Thanks for the pictures and narrative. We really appreciate you taking the time to post them. We continue to enjoy your adventures vicariously and look forward to more info. Love, Aunt Charlene

Wood fam said...

We have watched the camel video about 8 times this morning. Luke loves it as you can imagine and is wondering when we can come visit you. I wish I had an answer! I am looking forward to more Egypt report--what you written is so fun to read. It is really so cool. Thanks again for the camel show--the kids loved it--as I am sure you did as well!

Anonymous said...

It just sounds like the coolest thing ever! I'm totally excited to hear more about Egypt. I'm doing all sorts of cool things today like writing a hypothetical letter for a student with an IEP... yeah. That's not actually cool. And that's why I don't have a blog. :)

rbradshaw said...

I too was impressed with the camera video and if Luke comes to visit I want to come too. Your trip sounds absolutely amazing--thank you so much for making your blog entries so interesting and fun to read. Love you--Mom

Jayne said...

Your blog is so fun to read--everything just sounds so amazing. I keep wanting to refer people to it...because your experiences are that cool and you write about them in such an entertaining way. :) Way more interesting than telling people about my life. I love you!