Thursday, January 10, 2008

I have arrived. My pilgrimage of about 18 flying hours ended at 5:00 PM Jerusalem time on Wednesday. I am not really sure what time that is for all of you, but I figure you can do the math. Since my arrival, I have come to conclude that if the surroundings were not reminder enough of where I am, the Pharisaical rules do. I just finished my last orientation meeting. We have been oriented on just about everything you can imagine. In many ways I feel as if I have arrived at a new MTC--so much so that I often feel like I should be walking around with a companion. I am pretty sure the feeling will wear off soon.

I am in love the city though. It is just tremendous--more than I ever imagined. I suppose that it is just so odd to me that this place really exists. It is the center of so much, so much contention, so much history, just so much and the its importance almost seems tangible at times. We went on a brief tour of the old city today. It was very fast and we didn't stop to look at much, they were just trying to orient us. It was crazy what we just "walked by" in our little stroll, you know just the Garden Tomb, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Mount of Olives, the kosher McDonalds. It is really just surreal and a little overwhelming. I would hope that I can help you all get a taste of everything that I am experiencing.

Oh by the way, this is the view from my window.

3 comments:

panaca said...

I am grateful that you have this opportunity. When I visited there I was struck by not only the view but the smells. Even with everyone living so close, the smells were not offensive. It appears that your weather is somewhat more temperate. We continue to experience some cold and some mild weather for this time of year. We are told, however, that we will be re-entering the cold of winter.

Look forward to your next posting.

Wood fam said...

I am so excited for you and everything that is in front of you. I am so glad that you made it safe. I hope the smells don't get offensive--unlike dad I thought that there was quite a distinct odor to the Kidron Valley. What a view! What floor are you on? Wow. I really am just so excited for you. Your brief comments continue to bring back waves of memories and feelings for me. I look forward to every reading.

Heidi said...

Richard! Your blog is great. I can't believe you are there. It makes me slightly jealous. Isn't it amazing? Soon enough you will know your way around the old city super well. Have so much fun! We miss you already!