Monday, January 21, 2008

One word. Shorts. That is right everyone, yesterday I wore shorts and it was amazing. Now, I should explain because we are not allowed to wear shorts here in Jerusalem (be it for modesty, simplicity, or just to irritate us). Yesterday was different because a group of us rented a van and went to Tel Aviv. For those of you not up on your Israeli geography let me help you out. Tel Aviv is on the coast almost directly west of Jerusalem.


The weather was pristine. While it wasn't sweltering, it was plenty warm and allowed me go out in the Mediterranean. There were a bunch of jellyfish that washed up on shore. I know that you should probably leave those things alone, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. There were no sticks to poke them with so I had to just use my finger. For everyone's information a jellyfish feels a lot like a rubbery/flat kickball. We were able to play some ultimate on the beach which was a desire that I have had ever since we arrived in Jerusalem.




Tel Aviv is also the site of the ancient port of Jaffa. There are some Roman ruins there as well as some shops. While there we all got some gelato. Mine was pistachio flavored (an excellent flavor). We spent the day walking around the old part of the city and then moved on to the new part in the evening.

It was a nice break from the "usual" sites. The city is very different from Jerusalem. Plus who could possibly have pass up the chance to play on the Mediterranean? It is good to be back though.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Rich. That sounds like it was so much fun. The Mediterranean, gelato, ultimate, shorts?... man you had quite a day.

panaca said...

When I went to Israel, I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Tel Aviv and it was on the coast. It was wonderful. The beach was a little messy but the water was great. It looks like quite a group you had with you. Who planned the trip? Anyone we know?

rich said...

it was just a group from the center. i doubt that you know any of them. there were about 30 or so of us there.

Kevin said...

Wow. I mean, criminy, this all sounds so dang awesome. And I can tell that you're soaking it all in the right way, if that makes sense. Rock on.

Lauran Miller! said...

Who is that girl right behind you...with the pistachio ice cream? Dang she's cool!!